Down to the Wire!
The semester is coming to a close, and boy have we been busy! We have been working hard to finish our mobile unit, which is looking better and better every day! We had a lot of running around to do to buy all of our supplies and then we got to begin working! After hours and hours of sanding, we finally got to the fun part – painting/assembling!
The next step of assembly was to fill some spots with zebra mussels. Thanks to Rod, we had an abundance of them! Most of our time this week was spent elbows deep in zebra mussels! After a long, smelly day of cleaning and sorting, we finally had the zebra mussels ready to put into the unit.
…and thats only half of them!
And, voila! They’re in!
We also started putting the sand in the “aquarium” part of our unit. Mixing the sand with some glue we got the first layer down, and it stuck better than we thought! We also finalized all our research that we are putting on the display and our next step is to get it all printed and put it on the unit!
We are going “all in” for this project! By the end of every day spent working on this, we were covered head to toe in everything from sawdust, to paint, to fishy smelling water! We had a very productive week and continue to work hard up until the exhibition on Thursday! Come out and see our completed display!!
More ‘Labour’ Work!
The countdown has begun with just less than twenty days left until our final presentation and class gallery exhibition at Civic Space.
It has been a long and challenging journey, and we are very excited about the final outcome. Over the past few weeks, we have been busy working at the Lebel building trying to finish cutting and painting the tires needed for our project. This week we made two trips to Home Depot looking for the required materials. On Sunday, Rosina and Rafi went to buy some paint to see if certain kinds of paint work on the tires. After successful experimentation with the paint, on Thursday afternoon Sajid and Portia went to the Home Depot to pick up more paint, carriage bolts, nuts, washers, rebar, and other materials required for our project. Some more good news about the project is that we have successfully cut all the tires we needed this passed Wednesday with the help of Mr. Rod. We returned to Label building, where we began to work as a group towards washing and painting the tires. Once we finished painting the tires, we will begin to assemble them into seating arrangement.
Team members are washing and posing with painted tires!
We anticipate that we will have our project built and ready by next week, which will give us plenty of time to discuss plans for what we will exhibit in the gallery space.