We Are Going Big
This is one of the most interesting ideas we have encountered, a solar and wind powered light post
This week has been very exciting and full of good news. We are almost at 200 likes on our Facebook page which could only mean word is spreading. Team Windsor Revivers has been going over all of the comments and responses, and as time goes by, we are pleased to see many new ideas flowing in. These new responses are essential for the statistics analysis because they help us to form an idea of the direction everyone wants to see the downtown move in. We are finding that many fit into 3 broad categories. However, as the research is ongoing we are also witnessing some ideas that have become more popular then the week before as previous popular ideas remain the same. So we are hoping that more responses come in soon so we can narrow down our research.
When we reviewed the information this week we noticed that the idea of better lighting in the downtown seemed to pick up some popularity. We took a walk downtown this week and seen the solar-powered light post in the picture above at the riverfront. We loved this idea and thought that it could be a great alternative to brighten up downtown! This solar-powered light post also has an attractive little wind turbine on top to harness the wind, both are renewable types of energy. We’ll be posting about it on Facebook as well so you can give us feedback on the idea there.
On Tuesday, Salman had the pleasure of talking to someone at the Windsor Star. They liked our idea and expressed interest in helping us to get the word out to the public. On Thursday a very pleasant photographer from the Windsor Star paid us a surprised visit at our class space downtown and talked with us a bit. He took a few photos and a short video, and we enjoyed every minute of his time. The video was posted on their youtube channel, and you can view it here:
It’s official now that we will be having a Green Corridor Exhibition to show case our final results to everyone near the end of this month. This event is going to be very exciting for all of us, as all the groups will have their individual projects to bring to life. The next coming weeks will be focused on how we might present our information to you, so please stay tuned and as we come up with more solid plans we can give you a better picture of what to expect!
From Poster to Post!
Playing around with the Birdhouses and Birdfeeders
It was a busy night this past Tuesday! Since it was the last working day of class, we had to get everything done and started to prepare the final presentation. During the first two hours of Tuesday’s class, our group combined everyone’s parts of the legacy report and did some minor editing and formatting in order to print the report on Wednesday.
After that, we began to finish up the work we left last Thursday—putting bird feeders and bird houses on the post. We punched holes on the sides and bottoms of the bird houses so that they could be screwed onto the post with ease. We went to the Ecohouse site; the concrete base was quite solid. Consequentially, it was time to put our bird houses and feeders against it and see how it would look. Rod gave us advice on how it is important to keep in mind the various angles one can examine the post from. Every angle represents a distinct meaning and focus of the post. At that point, we purchased more bird houses, and we attached them in various positions and angles in order to see how everything would fit together aesthetically. Moreover, we received a picture of a bird perched at the top of the post! Although we did not have enough time to attach the bird houses on permanently, we have left detailed plans in our legacy report on how everything will fit together. It will be a minor project for the next group of students to take on and should be completed within several days.
Mission Accomplished! That's a bird on top of the post...
Jumping Out Of The Box!
This Tuesday, our group went through the toughest night of the semester. Unfortunately, our designs for the signage were turned down again. It was suggested to find or create our own image for the sign instead of using the ones we had found. At that moment, we were very nervous and anxious for the success of our project. We felt it would not be completed by the end of the semester, since we spent over half of the semester just on the initial stage for the sign. Although hundreds of suggestions had been given by our instructors and we explored many venues, we were lost in our direction. Time does not wait. Only three classes were left to the end of the semester, and the pressures to finalize a design and erect the sign within a week were high! We took the professor’s advice, and immediately went to the Wildflower site in order to refresh our minds. Here we thought up some crazy and creative designs for the sign. Being on site, we were able to think outside of the box, literally, and new ideas just kept coming to us. The process felt very different, as though we were using a part of our brain that had been forgotten since we were 5 years old. With just under an hour, we got fifteen designs! No pain, no gain. Finally, one of our designs evoked some interest, from our professors, for which it was suggested that models be made. This would allow us to analyze our designs and give us multiple angles from which to view the sign. If approved, the next step would be to make the models into reality.