After some discussion of what is possible to accomplish in our time frame, we have decided on our final idea. We will be constructing a mobile interactive unit to display our research on our seven chosen invasive species. We are gearing the display towards children age six to twelve, but would also like it to be informative and entertaining for adults as well that may be accompanying the children. This mobile unit will hopefully be able to be brought to elementary schools, any city educational fairs, or to Science City. After visiting Science City and seeing the starting of their invasive species display, we learned that they were looking for something more interactive for their space and we thought our unit could be of some use for them as well.
The interactive unit will display information on each invasive species as well as a photo of each. To make this piece interactive we also want to add a representation of water and land, where we can have images of our invasive species and where they can be found (either in a tree, in the river, etc.) There will be a map of the world also on this display, and the idea is that the children can identify each invasive species by the information and picture given, locate it in the place it can be found, and move it to the location in the world it originated from.
We are still in the idea stage for the design of our prototype, but have a general idea of what we are aiming for in terms of design and functionality. Since we have a limited budget, we have decided to go out hunting for materials we can get a hold of for little to no cost. From the materials we gather, we hope to have a better idea of our design for our interactive unit. The first thing we are looking for is a cabinet/ set of drawers that we can build onto. We want to have drawers to open that are full of information and/or dioramas, a lid that opens and closes on the top of the unit which will display information as well.
We met with local artist Scott Hughes this week, who has had experience in creating informative displays. He was very informative on the things we must take into consideration and the ways and materials to do and/or make our display. We learned that we have much more work to do on our prototype as we are coming down to the last few weeks of class! Hopefully we can start to put things together in the week coming up!