Over the weekend one of our team members, Ashley, initiated conversation among people of interest in facility services in order to get some head way on our Green Roof project. Ultimately, this lead to the group being directed to John Rigor, who should be in contact over the next few days. Although, some of the people contacted remain supportive of the project at hand, others did not hesitate to remind us of the obstacles ahead: conflict with unions, telephone towers atop of Laurier, liability issues, and problems with the previous irrigation system atop MacDonald Hall.
Members from the group also met on Monday at the Eco-house to view the state of the exterior of the project. Although, we were forewarned of the lack of up keep at the site, we still managed to dredge up some disappointment for what we found. We were unable to decide a realistic goal for this project. Ashley was able to allocate a tentative donation from St. Thomas of Villanova of six to eight flats of flowers that may include petunias, salvia, geraniums, and begonias. The garden of the Eco-House still needs to be weeded, stripped of wood chips, leveled and the soil needs to be turned before planting could even begin, these are a few objective for the team’s action plan for Tuesday’s work period.
On tuesday, the groups moved around a little bit due to the introduction of Dr. Jennifer Willet’s Earthship project, and we lost 2 members, but gained 4 more. We welcome Jyotsna, Harpreet, Evan, and Natalie to our group.
Despite the rainy weather, we managed a trip out to the Eco House site as a group this time to make sure everyone had a chance to see what we are working with and to put everyone on the same page. We had to do a major re-evaluation of our project and began to look at perhaps a zen/rock-garden based type of space. We saw this as an acceptable and interesting solution for the space because it would be low-maintainence, although we run into the problem of functionality for that space, and again, had to re-evaluate.
At this writing, all plans are tentative and the idea of cleaning up the area and donating it to the community garden has been tossed around. It’s back to the drawing board for us, once again. Our goal for before next class is to come up with as many different ideas for the space as we can.